The results of the October 2017 LFS round indicated decent work gains in terms of generating quality employment. The underemployment rate eased considerably by 2.1 percentage points (ppts) from 18.0% to 15.9%, which has been a record low since October 2006. Moreover, vulnerable employment rate, as measured by share of self-employed and unpaid family workers to total employment, decreased to 33.9% to 36.4% year-on-year.
The results of the July 2017 LFS round indicated some decent work gains, particularly in terms of generating quality employment. Employment gains were seen in public administration, construction, manufacturing, and IT-BPM related sectors. While employment contracted by 1.9% year-on-year (from 40.954 million in July 2016 to 40.170 million in July 2017), underemployment rate notably eased to 16.3% from 17.4% over the same period.
The results of the April 2017 LFS round indicated decent work gains, particularly in terms of generating quality employment. While employment contracted by 1.0% year-on-year (from 40.664 million in April 2016 to 40.271 million in April 2017), unemployment rate declined to 5.7% in April 2017 from 6.1% in April 2016. Underemployment rate also notably eased to 16.1% to from 18.3% over the same period.
The results of the January 2017 LFS round reported a labor force participation rate of 60.7% out of the 69.414 million population 15 years old and over. This is equivalent to about 42.109 million economically active population comprising either employed or unemployed persons. More so, the employment rate was reported at 93.4% and the unemployment rate at 6.6%. The underemployment rate was estimated at 16.3%. It may be noted that the current results are not comparable with that of the previous year due to a break in the data series following the adoption of the 2013 Master Sample for household-based surveys starting the April 2016 round.